Reflections on my explorations, products, new skills and perspectives of biodiversity



                                                     Photo from www.visitfloydva.com


 The Biodiversity Stewardship course at Virginia Tech has been instrumental in getting to learn a wealth of knowledge about a multitude of skills, tools and pathways that can be implemented anywhere in the world. I chose to focus this semester on Buffalo Mountain Natural Area Preserve, a place that captured my heart the first time I visited years ago. 

The way the course is structured allowed me the freedom to go down "rabbit holes" on topics that were directly relevant to my area of focus which provided me the fuel and fire to make this semester my own. Throughout the semester, I have learned to research a specific area in depth and discover the biodiversity that makes the place not only unique, but special to the community, the state and to anyone who visits. I was able to learn more about weather tools and researching weather and climate data that affect a specific area. I learned how to use many mapping tools, AI tools for research and how to cross check information. I learned to build detailed presentations for different audiences and feel confident I can create presentations for numerous stakeholders. I learned how to find soil data and use that data to determine the types of biodiversity that might be supported and thrive in the area. I learned how to research invasive species that may have infiltrated the area and how these are controlled or eradicated in order to let native species survive. I learned about discovering the types of trees that likely exist and thrive in my area of focus and how to use a multitude of AI tools and apps that can help with species identification while in the field. I even learned how to find like-minded individuals who may already be supporting this natural area through volunteer hours and even how to start my own non-profit in my state.

Looking back, I feel I was able to learn and gain invaluable knowledge across so many different topics over the course of a single semester. I was already a huge proponent of the environment and biodiversity, but this course and the way it was taught really allowed me to dig in and be more specific in certain areas that I have not been able to in the past. I especially liked the challenge of using AI tools, weather data tools, soil data tools, species identification tools and mapping tools to bolster my skill in these areas. I feel these tools are very applicable in all aspects of natural resources and the environment career paths and I now have a specific and appropriate tool kit as I move forward in this program.

I also now feel even more passionate about biodiversity as it pertains to specific areas. Prior to this course, I would research certain invasive species or local, endangered species in my area and work on my skills in identification, extrication, environmental protection and eradication, but I felt I was "chasing" topics. I now feel compelled to find specific natural areas and other areas of importance that need protection and use my skills to focus on one area at a time. From this course, I learned I can do this globally and not just in my area. That opens a whole new set of doors for my research. 

In summary, this course has been one of the most valuable I have taken on my path in the College of Natural Resources and the Environment at Virginia Tech. I look forward to continuing to use my new skill set in future pursuits, personal curiosities and in my current and potentially future career. 

Comments